By Stephen Ubanna
Economic and Social activities have returned to Seme, a Border Community between Nigeria and Republic of Seme, as Aminu Dahiru, an Assistant Comptroller General in-charge of Enforcement, Investigation and Inspection, at the instance of Hameed Ali, a retired Colonel and
Residents told Value News that there was no basis for the Congestion at the Seme-Krake joint Border as there had been free-flow of truck laden cargoes over the years at the land Border when the Beninios Customs allowed Nigerian importers with their agents to keep their transit cargoes at the transit park until when they are ready into Nigeria for documentation and final release. Trouble was said to have started with the enforcement of the International Customs law on transit cargoes from one country’s Command to another by Nuhammed Uba Garba, Comptroller ,Seme Command. The situation , according to sources was made worse by the Beninois government policy of cargoe harmonisation , with the exception of vehicles, by insisting that ”all truck laden cargoes must pass through the Joint Border Post , JBP, o”r cullect post de controle dusta pose” in French, allowed by the Economic Community of West African States, ECOWAS, Authorities.
In anger the Beninois Customs Authorities, were said to have thrown open the door of the door of the closed Atlas park for the transit cargoes meant for the Nigerian market at the same time.
Investigation shows that within one week they had released over 8,000, truck laden cargoes into the country which could not find space in the temporary site provided by the Customs Authorities at Seme Command. The y may have done so to prove to the Seme Comptroller that he cannot cope in handling the situation in order to force the Customs Authorities to reverse the policy and allow the status quo to remain: exploiting Nigerian tansit cargo owners.
Unknown to them , Garba, the Seme Customs boss , has his plan B, on how to solve the congestion problem, described as temporary by agents. He was said to have to have reached out to Ali, the Comptroller General to seek for an extension of the temporary park provided at the joint Border to accommodate more truck laden cargoes that were parked on the road because of space constraint.
The Comptroller General was said to have obliged his requested by sending Aminu Dahiru, an Assistant Comptroller, ACG, to join forces with the Seeme Command officials to clear the congestion to allow for free flow of truck laden cargoes. Dahiru and his team were said to have moved into action immediately. With their Combined effort, the Congestion at the Joint Border which looked insurmountable in the last one and half months, , appear to have been cleared as free flow of Truck laden cargoes have been restored.
When The Value News visited the Seme Border Community on Wednesday, April 24, 2019, and had opportunity of finding of finding his way to the ECOWAS premises to witness the Examination of cargoes by the Beninos Customs and their Nigerian counterparts including the ACG team as well representatives of other security agencies, it was discovered that the much talked about congestion at the Border were human created. The value witnessed how the cargoes examined and jointed released drove out from the ECOWAS premises without clustering at the exit gate to cause congestions.
The Value News Reporter watched how the agent of the driver of the truck laden cargoes examined and released drove into the temporary park provided for keeping such transit cargoes with ease. The usual parking of trucks on the road had disappeared, fueling speculation that the Beninois Customs initial plan was ostensibly to frustrate Garba, the Seme Customs Comptroller and his men to see the situation as being beyond them.
While, the Beninois Customs Authorities may think that they have pushed the Seme Command to the wall that they would come back to cap in hand begging for support, the decision appears to have boosted the revenue regeneration of the Command as all loopholes to shortchange the government in the past by agents and their Customs collaborators had been blocked. the revenue generation of the Command may have been helped with the cancelation of the waiver policy of past Administrations by the Current President Muhammadu Buhari Administration as all revenue to the Command have been collected in the last three months without any loss.
Insiders told The Value News that as at April 23, 2019, the Command has collected about N791.062, billion. A break down shows that in January alone, when the Command was still making preparation to finalise arrangement for the transit trucks to relocate to the Nigeria side of the Border, it generated a about N538.03 million for the government. The revenue , generation of the Customs Command was said to have dropped last February with the Enforcement of the International law on transit cargo as it merely collected N401.8 million.
The persistence of Garba, the Seme Custom Comptroller and his
It was not surprising that in the month of March, the Command, a d source disclosed generated generated over N670 million. Signs that the March revenue , would be surpassed in this month of April, is obvious with the return of free flows of Truck laden cargoes at the Joint Border.
Nobody had expected the Command to have made such impressive revenue in the month of March alone , because of the ban on the high revenue generating cargoes, particular, foreign parboiled rice and vehicles from coming through the land Border by the Buhari Administration on January 1, 2017.
A reliable source told The Value News that the Seme Customs Comptroller may have laid the foundation for the improved revenue Collection.
Perhaps guided by
The Customs Comptroller, according to
2,279 total views, 2 views today