END SARS Protests Forces Buhari To cave In As CBN Denies Hacking Of Its website

By Stephen Ubanna

President Muhammadu may not have known that the Youths protests championed by the END SARS Movement which had started in Lagos, the nation’s Commercial nerve center, on Thursday, October 8, 2020, would  snowball into a nation-wide Youths protest that had dragged on for days without  any sign of ending.

Femi Adsina, a Senior Special Assistant to the Katsina  state  born Nigerian President may have spoken the mind of the President  when he reportedly  said that the protest is a child’s play.  He may not have had at the back of his mind that the aggrieved Nigerian   Youths who are not happy over the defunct Special anti-robbery Squad, SARS, and other Police tactical teams brutality in the country were fully prepared for the protest.

Take for instance, they were said to have laid ambush  at the Lagos state government Secretariat, Alausa, for four  days without blinking . They were said to have made adequate provision for water, food, drinks and allowance for the protesters including arranging for bails for those in police Custody.    Oluomo,  Chairman, National Union of Road Transport Workers , Lagos, may have thought  he could  win the heart of the protesters by arranging food, water and drinks for them in a BRT  bus but was disappointed. This is because the driver of the  bus was chased way  with what he was carrying.

. The northern Youths may have added another dimension to the protest by  adding the problems of insecurity in the  region, despite the repeated  promises of Buhari and his security Chiefs ,  who constitute the National Security Council, NSC, since 2015 to address the problem.  This is evident going by the ecent protest in Minna, Capital of Niger, home state ofenerals Ibrahim Babangida, a former military President and Abdulsalami Abubakar, another former military Head of State and Chairman, National Pece Committee, NPC.

END SARS Protests In Lagos

 The Niger state  Youths  were said to have taken to the streets  to protest  against insecurity, and  poor  condition of  road Infrastructure , described as death traps. The Niger state Youths and youths from other states in the northern part of the country may not have seen anything wrong with Mohammed  Adamu, the IGP, new creation, Special Weapons and tactics ,SWAT, team.

 They believe that SWAT is necessary at this point in time in the country   that SARS, had been scrapped to tackle the various security threats such as  baditry, in the north west,  killings in the north central and, the Islamic Fundamentalist group  Boko Haram attacks in the north east. This is in addition to the problems of kidnapping and rape in the  entire  north.  The northern Youths may have their reason to support the police SWAT team, particular.  They believe that the  new  Police unit personnel   are ‘’fully  equipped and trained to tackle various forms of security threats in the region.

Yemi Osibajo, a Professor of Law and the Vice President  may have known that this is a no win situation  for the government   as the members of the END SARS Movement  had organisd  a candle-light procession on Friday, October, 16, 2020, being the  10th day of the protest,  at the Unity Fountain , Abuja, the Federal Capital Territory, FCT and Lagos, in  honour of the victims of extra-judicial killings in the country.

 The trigger hungry  Policemen in Lagos and the FCT,  may not have disrupted the   Youths candle light procession  to avoid aggravating the situation. They were said to have been handicapped  as  the IGP, had withdrawn their guns.

  Moreso ,  the Nigerian President  may have known  that he would be attracting the attention of the International Community if he dares deploy troops to disrupt the protests or  last Friday  candle light. It is not surprising why he had had kept  mum  to observe the situation and restrategise on how to bring the protests to an end.

END SARS Protesters Hold CandleLight For Victims Of Torture And Extra-Judicial Killings Across The Country

Osinbajo, at the instance of Buhari, the retired  Army General and Commander –In-Chief of the Nigerian Armed Forces, recent apology  to Nigerians was a clear indication that the Buhari led All Progressive Congress, APC,  government , which had been at the helm of Affairs in this country over the last five years knew what they were doing right thing . Osinbajo, who could not hide his feelings had said that’’the  protesst  rocking  the country   goes beyond Negotiations about SARS’’.

The question on the lips of most people  was why did the government allow the  situation in the country to get so bad as  to allow the Youths take over the  streets in Lagos , Abuja and major cities in the country to force the  government to do that which ought to have been done over the years.  The Vice President, who may have spoken the mind of the President had said  that there  would not have been any basis for the END SARS protest ‘’if the government had moved fast  in addressing  the issues that had been raised the protesting Youths.

Typical of a populist leader who wants to warm themselves  back to the heart of the people, Buhari may have humbled himself . ‘’Dear Nigerians, I know that many of you are angry  and  understandably so. We could have  moved  faster to solve these pproblems and for this we are sorry’’,  Osibajo had said. A humbled Buhari, who had spoken through Osinbajo, the Vice President had said that’’ these feelings of frustration by the people is justified’’.

The Nigerian President may have fallen back on the advice given to him by Enock Adejare Adeboye, the General Overseer of The Redeemed Christian of GOD, RCCG, to  restructure the country to avoid disintegration, tackle  the rising case of unemployment, decay in the nation’s education system, and the general harsh economic situation in the country’’ . The Clergy man had urged the government ’’to developed  new  strategies  for of policing to stop policemen from engaging in torture and extra-judicial killings’’.

Indeed, the Buhari Administration  may have shown that the time has come to carry Nigerians along   as the 37 SARS personnel who had been identified as having being involved in torture and extra-judicial killings in different parts of the country were said to have been dismissed by the IGP.

Adamu: IGP

They were said to have been dissed on the orders of Buhari, acting on the report of the Presidential Panel on SARS reform which had found the trigger hungry officers culpable. They were said  to have been  found wanting following an Investigations of Human Rights Violations and abuse of office levelled against the SARS personnel. The Investigation panel was said to have been set up by the IGP, as against the Panel which the President had promised  to set up to look into the  rave allegations of rights violations   against the SARS  personnel.

The IGP was said to have broken the news of the 37 officers recommended  for dismissal at a meeting between  the Police Service Commision , PSC, and  the National Human Rights Commission, NHRC.

The Presidential Panel may have arrived at the decision  to apply the sledge hammer  on the 37 SARS officers  based on the   113 Complaints on alleged  Human Rights violations across the country and 22 memoranda on suggestions on how  to reform and restructure SARS and the Nigerian Police, NPF, in genera.

The suggestions on SARS,  restructuring may have informed why  Adamu, the IGP, had quickly established the  Special Weapons  Tactics, SWAT , team as a replacement. He had said that no former member of the SARS  team would be deployed to the new team. He got it wrong as the END SARS, protesters  did not see any difference between  SARS and SWAT.

Emefiele: Denies CBN website Being Hacked By Anonymous Hackers

The END SARS protests may have given ammunition  to a  group of alleged  International Cyber fraudsters to  attack  some Federal  government  agencies websites  including that of the Central Bank of Nigeria, CBN, on Friday, October 16, 2021. The group, described as prominent in hacking  government agencies  websites globally were  said to have announced  its decision to attack the Nigeria government agencies websites as a way of showing its solidarity with the  with the protesters  clamouring  for the reforms  of the NPF.

But   the CBN, under the close watch of Godwin Emefiele, in a Statement issued by  Osita Nwanisobi, Acting  Director , Corporate Communications,  had said that  contrary  to claims  in the social media  alleging   that the website  of the CBN , www.cbn.gov.ng, has been breached  by some  malicious persons ‘’we wish to categorically state that our website is secure’’.

 The apex bank had assured Nigerians , the trading public  and  all other stakeholders  that’ ‘’the CBN website  is adequately protected and that there is no cause for alarm’’. Appealing to members of the online Community to desist from peddling the false news which is aimed at demining the integrity of the apex bank , which is the country’s Collective asset, Nwasinobi, the  bank spokesperson insists that ‘’there was no cause for alarm’’.  W e ensure  price  and financial system stability and promote  sustainable  economic development, the he had said.

Even Twitter had Corroborated the Claims of the CBN Authorities that’’ its website was never hacked by any anonymous hacker’’.  Many believe that the news making the rounds that the CBN website was hacked  was  planned by those  who want foreign exchange users dealers to resort to panic buying  and then , force down the Exchange Rate of the naira to the United states dollar, in the FOREX market.

In a related development,  the  leadership of the  NHRC,  had  Constituted  an 11-man , Independent  Investigative Panel, IIP, notwithstanding the Investigative Panel that had been set up by the IGP,  to look into the allegations  of Human Rights Violations levelled against the Operaives of the defunct SARS, which had recommendd 37  officers found guilty of torture and Rights Violations for dismissal.

Tony Ojukwu,  Executive  Secretary of the Commission had said that   that Panel  will accept petitions, listen to complaints and receive memoranda  from  people  across the 36 states of the Federation and the FCT. The Committee  , which is Headed by Suleiman  Galadima, a  tired Justice  of the Supreme Court is expected to make  recommendations to the government  on how best  to reform SARS and other units of the Force,

  The  Pane;,  according to insider sources had the backing of the Presidency. Recall that last Saturday, the Protesting Youths   had staged a prayer walk   across the country seeking divine intervention on the state of the nation.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.