Onnoghen: Buhari Heaves A sigh Of Relief Over His Conviction.

By Nwangwu Uba

President Muhammadu Buhari, of the ruling All Progressive Congress,, APC,  appears to have heaved a sigh of relief over the conviction of suspended Walter Onnnoghen,  Chief Justice of Nigeria, CJN, by  the Code of Conduct Tribunal on allegations  over alleged false declaration of Assets.

The allegations may have been strengthened by the  alleged report of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, EFCC, which was said to have been submitted to the Katsina state born Nigerian President on January 30, 2019, showing that the embattled CJN, had breached  the law as a public officer.    A Statement from the Presidency through Garba  Shehu, Senior Special Assistant to the President, on Media and Publicity, thro barely hours after the Cross River state born embattled CJN, was Convicted speaks volume.  

 Shehu,  said the ”outcome  of the Tribunal trial of the  suspended CJN,   has demonstrated clearly that  ” the law is no respecter  of  persons, titles , social or political connection”. The Preesidency described the  landmark Judgment of the Tribunal  as a ” major victory  for the  Anti-Corruption  policy of  the Buhari Administration’. It may not have made any reference to the embattle CJN,  rejection and Appeal Notice already  filed  against the Judgment in an Abuja  Court, an indication that they were awaiting  for the Tribunal to make the earth shaking  pronouncement.

Sources revealed that the President’s happiness over the outcome of the case is not unconnected with the fact that if Onnoghen was acquitted, it would watered the believed by many Nigerians sympathetic to the former CJN that he was been persecuted and the fear that he would have seek redress in Court to claim damages.  

The Convicted CJN who was not  surprised about the outcome of the Judgment had earlier accused Danladi Umar, a Senior Advocate of Nigeria, SAN , and Chairman, CCT, of being bias , in the case,  noting that  there is no way he could get favourable Judgment .

But Robert Clark, SAN, thinks differently.  The legal luminary reportedly said that the  Buhari led government should be ”given credit for prosecuting  the suspended CJN  at the CCT. He alluded in a recent  interviews with Channels Television    that  the ”government  knew what they were doing  before they  dragged him to the Tribunal. He noted that the petition  by the EFCC,  a copy of which was said to have been handed over to him last February which was” enough reason to  resign” but he refused to read the handwriting  on the wall until he was finally convicted by the CCT.

Walter Onnoghen: Convicted CJN

Note that the President has never found it convenient  working with the suspended CJN, who had earlier resigned before his conviction Thursday April 18, 2019.  The Katsina state born Nigerian President was said to have opened up to then CJN, when he visited him in the Villa, upon his return from his oversea treatment last year April,  he told him at a  closed door meeting  that the anti- corruption war was losing steam

Political watchers believe  that the expression was  clearly a  loss of   Confidence on Onnoghen as Head of the country’s Judiciary . The events between April 2018 and August 2018, around him speaks volume. Sources told The Value News that the President reduced his regular interaction with him . This may have been made possible because of the feelers coming out from the EFCC investigation on him which had started before he was appointed the country ‘s acting CJN in 2016 and subsequent Confirmation in 2017.

insiders disclosed  that Buhari could not have  approved  his appointment to Head the Judiciary but for the intervention of Yemi  Osibanjo, the Vice  President, whose views are  well respected in the Presidency because of his legal background.  He may have given him the appoint but put him under close watch , using the EFCC,  to expose him. 

The source disclosed that Onnoghen made several attempts to convince the Present that Judiciary and The  Executive are on the same page in the anti-corruption war but that was how far he could go. The embattled CJN, may have known that his days are numbered  as Head of the Judiciary when he angrily told Journalists when he came out from the Villa that April  that ”there are three arms of government  and these three  arms Constitute the government” , noting  that  the ” government  is not only the executive”. Reacting to the Presidency allegations, based on feelers from the EFCC,   that the Judiciary  was not doing enough  to ensure  speedy trial  of Corruption cases,  Onnoghen had dismissed it as untrue.

The suspended CJN may have been Convicted by CCT, an agency of the state, but Political Observers , said he has never failed  in telling the President anytime they have opportunity of discussing  that those thinking that the ”Judiciary  was the culprit  in the delay process of the trial corrupt cases in the Court   are not ”telling the whole truth including officials of the EFCC”. He has consistently maintained that  ”it was not the Judiciary  that would  arrest suspects  before looking for evidence to prosecute them  in Court’. 

An aggrieved Onnoghen who may not have hidden his feeling from the onset on how he intends to run the country’s Judiciary  that , ” it was not the Judiciary   that would go into  investigations of Corrupt charges against any person on the list of the Commission”.

 There is no gainsaying the fact that he may have stepped on toes that they have to dig into his financial transactions  to prove to him that he was corrupt and therefore, not fit  to hold the exalted office of the CJN.

 1,028 total views,  1 views today

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.